• Contact Us
  • Indexing
  • Submit Manuscript
  • Open Access
  • Journals
  • Home
  • ISSN: 2475-9473
    Early Online
    Volume 5, Issue 1
    Case Report
    Ndongo Pilor*, Ciré Ndiaye, Mame Sanou DIOUF, Houra Ahmed, and Issa Cheikh NDIAYE
    Introduction : Sialoblastoma is a rare, congenital malignant epithelial tumor of the salivary glands. It is located mainly in the parotid and maxillary glands. Its location in the sublingual gland is exceptional.
    Summary of the clinical case : We report the case of a 10-month-old infant, with no pathological history, who consulted for a congenital mass under left mandibular, gradually increasing in volume.
    The examination found a left submandibular mass of about 10 centimeters long axis, firm, mobile compared to the 2 planes, painless with a healthy skin.
    The cervical CT showed a left mandibular mass, tissue, with regular contours; without lymphadenopathy.
    The patient had a complete excision of the mass under general anesthesia. Intraoperatively, we found a mass of cerebral aspect extending forward and inward of the left maxillary gland which was normal in appearance. The postoperative course was simple.
    Anatomopathological examination of the operative specimen concluded with sialoblastoma.
    Conclusion : Topographical diagnosis of the sialoblastoma of sublingual gland is possible in peroperatory. There is no consensus on the treatment which is essentially surgical by complete exeresis.
    Sudhagar ME, Karan Bhatia, and Major Prasanna Kumar S*
    Cystic swelling of parotid is a rare clinical condition. Incidence is only 5%. Differential diagnosis of cyst in parotid are Dermoid cyst, first Branchial arch cyst, Malignancy, calculi and epidermal cyst. Keratinous cyst is a type of epidermal cyst and it is also called as Epidermoid cyst/ Epidermal Inclusion cyst. It can occur after trauma or surgery due to implantation of epithelium. Patient presents with painless soft swelling with gradual progression in size. FNAC and MRI scan are invaluable tools for diagnosis of such cysts. In this case, a 52 year old male with soft swelling in right parotid region was diagnosed of keratinous cyst. Patient underwent Enucleation of the cyst and the cyst was found to be attached to the external auditory canal. Histopathology confirmed the diagnosis. Keratinous cyst in parotid region with attachment to the external auditory canal is rarely reported in literature. This study discusses the clinical presentation, diagnosis and the surgical treatment of the keratinous cyst in parotid.
    Original Research
    Issahalq Duah Mohammed, Mathias Dongyele*, Saah Sandrah Nketsiaba, Adu Gabriel, and Nyadu Offei
    The frequent use of ear/headphones among disk jockeys and on-air presenters has been thought to cause ear health problems and contribute to hearing loss in most low resourced regions globally. This study, examined one hundred and forty-five (145), DJ‘s and one hundred and forty-three (143) On-air presenters, two hundred and eighty-eight (288), subjects in all, from various radio and TV stations in the Kumasi metropolis in the Ashanti region of Ghana. The purpose of this study was to investigate the aural health disk jockeys and on-air presenters in the Kumasi metropolis of Ghana. A Qualitone Wide Range Type three audiometer used for a hearing screening test.
    Of the 143 on-air presenters enrolled in the study, one hundred and twenty-six (126) (representing 88.1%) had normal hearing in both ears, thus between 0 to 25dB. The remaining seventeen (17), representing (11.9%), failed. And of the one hundred and forty-five (145), DJ‘s enrolled in the study, ninety-eight (98) (representing 67.6%) failed the screening test and the remaining forty-seven (47), (representing 32.4%) passed bilaterally.
    In responds to a questionnaire, one hundred and sixty-four (164) (representing 57%), respondents reported frequent headaches, ear pain, intermittent tinnitus and the inability to hear very soft sounds immediately after using and taking off their ear/headphones, sixty-four (64) (representing 22.2%), reported itching and the remaining sixty (60) (representing 20.8%), had no complains.
    In the end, there was an association between the frequent use of ear/headphones, hearing loss, (i.e. mild hearing loss, mild-moderate hearing loss, NIHL- noise induced hearing loss), intermittent tinnitus, ear pain, frequent headaches, itching and the inability to hear very soft sounds immediately after using and taking off ear/headphones.
    Mariana Silva Freitas*, Adriana Neves de Andrade and Daniela Gil
    To analyze and compare the performance of new users of behind-the-ear hearing aids in auditory processing behavioral tests in the pre- and post-acclimatization period.
    Materials and methods: This study was attended by 20 individuals aged between 45 and 67 years old (both genders); with mild to moderately severe sensorineural hearing loss acquired in the post-lingual period; new users of bilateral digital hearing aids with minimum reported use of hearing aids of at least eight hours a day. They were subjected to duration and frequency pattern tests, memory for verbal and non-verbal sounds in sequence and sound localization, one week after adaptation (pre-acclimatization) and 12 weeks after amplification adaptation (post- acclimatization).
    Results: The average performances in the duration and frequency pattern tests were less than 52% correct in the pre- and post-acclimatization moments, with improved performance in more than 50% of the sample. Regarding the tests of memory for verbal and non-verbal sounds, we found average performances less than 64% and 69% correct responses. The average performance for the sound localization test was less than 76% of correct responses, without changes after acclimatization in 85% of the evaluated sample.
    Conclusion: The performance in the duration and frequency pattern recognition tests was better after 12 weeks of the use of amplification. The other behavioral tests presented similar results one and twelve weeks after use, thereby showing that acclimatization is not generalized for all hearing skills, therefore central auditory processing deficits should be taken into consideration during the period of amplification adaptation.
    Marília Stefanes*, Taise de Freitas Marcelino, and Carlos Eduardo Monteiro Zappelini
    Introduction: Epistaxis is defined as bleeding from the nasal mucosa. It is estimated that at least 60% of adults have already had an episode of epistaxis, being more common in men.
    Objective: Analyze the management (therapy) and epidemiological profile of patients admitted to Hospital Nossa Senhora da Conceição (HNSC) in Tubarão, Santa Catarina, Brazil.
    Methods: Cross-sectional study that included HNSC patients with complaints of epistaxis in the period from 2010 to 2017. Data were obtained from medical records of the TASY software and inserted in a collection instrument structured by the researchers.
    Results: Study with 704 patients, 290 women and 414 men, with an average age of 44.6 years. It was observed that 49.7% of them had some comorbidity, and that of these, 5.1% used inhibitors of platelet aggregation and 2.3% anticoagulants. Still, 30% of the patients presented hypertensive crisis associated with epistaxis, being more common over 60 years of age (p <0.001). During the study it was observed that the majority of cases occurred in winter (32.9%), and that most patients (86.1%) were not submitted to hospitalization. Regarding medical care, only 20.7% needed the care of an otolaryngologist. Complementary exams were also performed in the minority (31.7%). Patients over 60 years of age were those who most used the tampon as a therapeutic option. On the other hand, cauterization was more chosen between the ages of 20 and 59 and the only ligation was also performed in this age group. Finally, expectant management was superior in individuals under 12 years old. Recurrence was observed in 31.3% of patients regardless of the management chosen.
    Discussion: Epistaxis is more common in men and in cold climates. It has a multifactorial etiology and usually originates in the Kisselbach plexus. Most of them are usually benign and self-limited, not requiring hospitalization, complementary exams or surgical procedures, such as surgical ligation and electrical cauterization.
    Conclusion: The most used management was nasal packing followed by the expectant, cauterization and ligation respectively.
  • JSciMed Central Blogs
  • JSciMed Central welcomes back astronaut Scott Kelly and cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko.
    Readmore...

    Wonder Women Tech not only disrupted the traditional conference model but innovatively changed the way conferences should be held.
    Readmore...

    JSciMed Central Peer-reviewed Open Access Journals
    About      |      Journals      |      Open Access      |      Special Issue Proposals      |      Guidelines      |      Submit Manuscript      |      Contacts
    Copyright © 2016 JSciMed Central All Rights Reserved
    Creative Commons Licence Open Access Publication by JSciMed Central is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
    Based on a work at https://jscimedcentral.com/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://creativecommons.org/.