Lesbian Health - A Forgotten Issue in Women Health?
- 1. Department of Tropical Medicine, DY Patil University, India
The women health is an important consideration in global public health. The inferiority of female population can be seen in several countries around the world. There is still a quality in health service for the women in many areas of the world. Regarding women health, one usually mentions for the common problematic group such as pregnant women, girl, female elderly and prostitute. However, there is still another less mentioned female group that should receive the equity in access to health. The lesbian is a specific group of female population that has special sexual preference. There are many lesbians around the world. The specific health care for this population should be mentioned.
At present, there are limited guidelines for health management of lesbian. Comparing to the gay male population, very few studies are given on lesbians. Lesbian is still a female. A lesbian still have a chance to have any disease that a female can have such as breast cancer, cervix cancer, unwanted pregnancy or sexual threaten [1-3]. It is reported that sexual abuse among lesbian is significantly higher than that seen in gay male . Regarding pregnancy, lesbian pregnancy is the issue that little mentioned in the obstetric literature. Bushe and Romero noted that “the scientific literature is very limited, and there is a clear need for additional obstetrical research focused on this patient group ”. The phenomenon as sexual minority for the lesbian group can be seen. As suggested by Baptiste-Roberts et al. “To ensure equitable health for all, there is urgent need for targeted culturally sensitive health promotion, cultural sensitivity training for health care providers, and intervention-focused research .”
1. Baptiste-Roberts K, Oranuba E, Werts N, Edwards LV. Addressing Health Care Disparities Among Sexual Minorities. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2017; 44: 71-80.
2. Lunn MR, Cui W, Zack MM, Thompson WW, Blank MB, Yehia BR. Sociodemographic Characteristics and Health Outcomes Among Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual U.S. Adults Using Healthy People 2020 Leading Health Indicators. LGBT Health. 2017; 4: 283-294.
3. Strutz KL, Herring AH, Halpern CT. Health disparities among young adult sexual minorities in the U.S. Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 76-88.
4. Xu Y, Zheng Y. Prevalence of Childhood Sexual Abuse among Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual People: A Meta-Analysis. Child Sex Abus. 2015; 24: 315-331
5. Bushe S, Romero IL. Lesbian Pregnancy: Care and Considerations. Semin Reprod Med. 2017; 35: 420-425
Wiwanitkit V (2018) Lesbian Health - A Forgotten Issue in Women Health? JSM Women’s Health 3(1): 1010